Saturday 16 December 2023

DISC BRAKES

 I was looking through some old photos today and found this one - Over the years I had more than 50 bikes of my own and test rode more than 1500 different bikes - possibly a lot more (Test riding repaired bikes was one of my jobs)

But I only ever owned one with disc brakes - this 97 Diamondback X2 all rebuilt with upgraded parts - it had top of the line Hope brakes that were selling for crazy $ back in the 90's - they started out retailing for NZ$2700 for a pair, and got gradually cheaper, but I would have got all that gear fairly cheap - I think the bike cost me about NZ$3k all up when I built it up in 97.

Truth is I always preferred old school hard tails and wished they had a downhill race class for them - I was never any faster on full suspension - and this bike felt too heavy for my tastes, as did all full suspension bikes.