Saturday 1 June 2024

ARE THERE ANY GREAT NZ MOVIES?

When I'm asked if there are any great New Zealand movies I don't know where to start. Not because there are so many I don't know which ones to choose first, but because the short answer is "No, not really" There are certainly not many I would call "great".

 

If I pick my favourites from the past 50 years, I can only find about three that I really liked.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls000380472/

 

 Goodbye Pork Pie (1980)

Dumped by his girlfriend, a man joins a reckless youth in a stolen yellow mini and they drive the length of New Zealand, attracting cops and media attention, determined to get to Invercargill.

    Director - Geoff Murphy

    Stars - Tony Barry, Kelly Johnson, Claire Oberman


Bad Taste (1987)

The population of a small town disappears and is replaced by aliens that chase human flesh for their intergalactic fast-food chain.

Director - Peter Jackson 

Stars- Terry Potter, Pete O'Herne, Craig Smith

 

Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016)

 

A national manhunt is ordered for a rebellious kid and his foster uncle who go missing in the wild New Zealand bush.

    Director - Taika Waititi
   
Stars - Sam Neill, Julian Dennison, Rima Te Wiata