Tuesday, 11 August 2026

A FULL CIRCLE

Back in the 90's I was checking out a cool new clothing brand called SHIFT. I guess the name stood for a shift to a new more advanced state of awesomeness or something.


Looking at the SHIFT Logo I was Inspired to set up a website (we didn't used to call them blogs back then) called SIFT, meaning to sift around looking for interesting stuff.

I removed the H from shift and made my own versions of the logo in red & blue & purple rather than grey. When my blog later became quite popular I ended up printing SIFT T-shirts in a range of colours!


Around that time I also started going by the online alias SIFT but often found when I was signing up for accounts on platforms like g-mail that the name SIFT was already taken.

Even back then I was aware that there were try hard satanists lurking all over the internet and the circular logo of Google stood for 666, so I started calling myself “sift666” because that name was usually available. 

Actually I started calling myself about a dozen different online names but the sift666 one stuck.


Later, on a new blockchain platform, my sift666 name worked out very well because a bunch of the insiders fancied themselves as satanists, and thought I must be one of them as well. 


That was great for a while but I didn't realise that they really did consider themselves to be actual satanists. I thought they were just mocking the retarded satanists like I was, and we were all on the same page. Up until I did a post openly ridiculing satanists, and all of a sudden I was the anti-satan, so I was blacklisted from the platform.


Jump forward a decade and a friend started calling me “sifty”, meaning someone who lurks about not getting much done. A very appropriate name really.

Then I told her about my old blog where I used to have 800 misspelled porn search tags aimed at attracting illiterate google porn searchers, which got millions of hits up until Google blacklisted it. Notice a pattern here?


Anyway, after hearing that, she started calling me “shifty”, as in someone dodgy and cunning, who tricks satanic corporations online. Even more appropriate!

Then I realised I've nearly gone full circle from SHIFT to SIFT, and onward to SIFTY and then SHIFTY which is nearly right back to SHIFT again.


Over the past decade my blog hits have gone down from hundreds of thousands per year to bugger all, but now they seem to be going back up again.

After nearly three decades of battling my evil nemesis Google online, I've come to the conclusion that Google may be evil but I am shifty.

 

SIFT TOP 10 MOST POPULAR BLOG POSTS THIS MONTH